Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Pressure cooking - the love affair continues

It's a month or so since I invested in my Pressure Cooker. I've used it at least 20 times in that time.
Why did it take so long to walk (or quietly hiss) it's way into my life?
If you have read this blog in the past, you could surmise that I am a girl who likes my tucker. You would surmise right. Because I like my tucker, I also like to cook. Unfortunately, life often conspires to keep me from the kitchen. If I don't cook, I don't get a decent feed. And then I get cranky.
The pressure cooker has released me from all that "I don't have time to cook" stuff. It means I have time to cook, and do other things too. Take this morning, for example. While we were hanging around the kitchen for breakfast, I put together a Pumpkin, Potato and Chickpea curry which will be my lunch for the next few days. Total time, prep and cooking: 20 minutes.

Here's the recipe:



Pumpkin, Potato and Chickpea Curry

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 knob of chopped ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 tablespoons tomato paste
400g pumpkin
300g potato (these are approximate measurements, just use whatever you have)
1 tin chickpeas
½ cup boiling water
Salt and pepper

Heat the vegetable oil over medium heat, sauté the onion until lightly golden. Add the garlic and ginger, stir for a minute or so. Add the spices and tomato paste, stir for another minute. Stir in the pumpkin, potato, chickpeas, water and salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, and simmer for 45 minutes.

If using a pressure cooker, bring to low pressure over high heat. Once at pressure, turn down the heat and maintain pressure for 6 minutes. Release pressure using natural release method.

Why else do I love my pressure cooker? It's clean! There is no way your simmering food can short of water, so I haven't had to scrape food from the bottom of pots. And because the food stays in the pot, with a tight lid, there is no splattering on the stove.

Me and my pressure cooker - it's official. It's love!

No comments: