Saturday, May 16, 2009

Pickin' Pumpkins

Winter is well on it's way, although we haven't had too many really cold days yet. We do have Wind today, and lots of it. Thank goodness I'm not at school today, because in my experience, if there is one thing that gets the kids peevish, it's wind.

Here is what has been going on in the garden in the last few weeks:

Harvesting: bok choi, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, silverbeet, capsicum, zucchini (last of), beetroot, kipfler potatoes, lemons, rhubarb and PUMPKINS!

Planting: leeks, fennel and garlic (lots of).

I'm way behind schedule with garlic planting this year. It's been in the back of my mind since the beginning of April, but frankly, we didn't have the space because the pumpkins were still there. I wrote about my tactical error in planting pumpkins in the main vege garden here.

Today Action Man and I got stuck into the vegie garden to clear out the pumpkins, in one of our periodic working bees. Here is our harvest. Impressive, hey?



There is no way we will be able to eat these on our own before they go off over the next few months, so we will be giving at least half of these away. To me, giving away produce is one of the nicest parts of growing things.

After a few hours, the garden was cleared, composted, limed, planted with garlic bulbs, mulched and fed. A job well done.

Still working 4-5 days a week for the next few weeks. Having a vegie garden has had surprising benefits. Even though I don't have as much time to work in it, it's great to have vegies at your back door. It's meant that with a bit of judicious planning, I haven't had to do a mad scramble to do the grocery shopping for at least the last ten days, which is a considerable time saver. With vegies and fruit in the freezer, hopefully I won't be doing a major shop (except for milk perhaps) for the next 7 days.

2 comments:

Keltie said...

love your pumpkins! how marvelllous to have such space....i popped in to say I took the plunge and bought the pressure cooker. YOU WERE RIGHT! it's great and i've used it 3-4 times per week. makes sensational hummous.....thanks for the tip.

Paola said...

Keltie, so glad you are enjoying your pressure cooker. The love affair with mine continues, and it has really come into its own since I've been working so much. Spread the word!