Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Wonders never cease


Since Saturday, I have knitted the one-and-a-half squares above. Seeing as this is the first knitting I have done in, oh, about 30 years, I’m quite chuffed.

My relationship with knitting has been a bit fraught. My mother is a good knitter, and tried to teach me when I was a child. Unfortunately, I couldn’t decipher her flying needles, and mum couldn’t understand why I didn’t “get it” simply by looking. A stressful time was had by all.

When I was in high school, there was a knitting craze, and a friend taught me to knit then. It didn’t take me long to realise I would never want to wear anything I made, I was such a poor knitter. Also, I just couldn’t understand how people became so enamoured with knitting. I always had better things to do.

Thirty years later, and this week circumstances have aligned themselves to have me give knitting another chance. My sewing machine is still in the repair shop. I have time in the school holidays. I have been inspired by the knit along on Rhonda’s blog. I’ve casting around for something portable to do while I ferry kids to their various winter sporting commitments. I was at my mother’s place on Saturday, so I could get her to teach me to cast on (I never learnt that bit), plus she had some leftover yarn and needles to get me started. Shazam, a couple of days later, nearly two squares of a lap quilt done. And this has been done in little dollops of time - 5 to 10 minutes here and there.

I’m enjoying the mini-project each square is. I will be able to change colour and pattern frequently, so boredom won’t set in.

This time I get the therapeutic aspect of knitting. I never understood that before. But the nicest part is that my kids look at me as some sort of knitting guru, and I taught them both to knit over the last few days (no tears from either). On Sunday night I was knitting while surfing the blogs (yes, my satellite broadband takes that long), and my 11 year old son sat on the floor next to me knitting. He did a good job too. That makes me smile.

2 comments:

Sincerely, Emily said...

Hi -
I too am knitting ab it with Rhonda's "knit along". like you I haven't knit (or tried to knit) anything in ohhh about 23 years. for the knit along, I know I won't get the rug part so I jumped in with a kitchen wash rag. just finished it, but it is all really hard on my hands and wrists, so I know this won't be something I do much at all. oh well. you are right though, it is amazing what you can get done in 5 and 10 minutes here and there and it is so portable. Emily

Paola said...

Thanks for leaving a comment Emily. I finished that second square last night as I watched the news - about 15 minutes. I then started on square 3, a rib stitch.