Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Desert Island ingredients and a tip for parsley

Have you heard about that radio show on the BBC (Radio 4?) called Desert Island Discs? A famous guest talks about their life, interspersed with music from their "desert island discs". That is, music they would take with them if they were marooned on a desert island.


The idea of "desert island" things is a fun one. Beyond discs, you could have books, movies, works of art, gadgets, clothes. The list could go on.


Today I was in the kitchen, and I started to comtemplate my "desert island ingredients". This came up as I was chopping parsley, and I thought to myself, what would I do without parsley? I use it all the time. Then I started to think about other ingredients that I couldn't do without, the ingredients I would take with me on a desert island. After a bit of thought, the list I came up with was as follows:


Olive oil

Lemons

Parsley

Garlic

Nutmeg


The common link among this lot is that while they aren't the star ingredient they make whatever they are cooked with taste a lot better. What would be your "Desert Island ingredients?"


Back to chopping parsley though, I thought I'd share a tip. I use chopped parsley in a lot of things. Is it just me, or do other people find chopping parsley a messy business? No matter how hard I try, I can't confine the little flakes of parsley to the chopping board. They end up from one end of the kitchen to the other, don't ask me how. I am definitely not chucking it about like confetti. Promise!


So chopping parsley is not one of my favourite pasttimes. One way I've found to limit the angst is to chop the parsley in bulk (sometimes I do this in the food processor, sometimes just with my mezzaluna knife), then store the chopped parsley in a jar, cover it in olive oil, and use it in cooking straight from the jar. It saves heaps of time and mess. The parsley stores for about a month in the fridge in this way.


2 comments:

littleecofootprints said...

I'd also have Olive Oil, Lemons, and Garlic - but would swap the other two for Basil and Rice.

Hope your ejoying your holidays.

Cheers,
Tricia

Paola said...

Hmm, Tricia. Food for thought. Much as I love basil, I reckon parsley is a bit more versatile. And I'm with you on the rice. I'll probably be craving carbs, and you can make a nice pilaf with the other ingredients.