Tuesday, March 3, 2009

In the garden

Rhonda and Julie have been blogging about getting busy in the garden in preparation for winter. It’s been in the back of my mind that I should be doing the same thing. The problem is lack of space, as this summer I overdid the curcubits and they have taken over. Memo to self: do not plant pumpkins in the vegie patch next year. Plant them somewhere else.
Later I was walking past the vegie patch and was looking at the two main space offenders, a Lebanese zucchini and a yellow squash. They really have to go, I thought. The vegetable to space taken ratio was way out of whack and it was time to sacrifice them. And although I had no plans to do so, I then thought, “now is as good a time as any”, so for the next TWO hours, I pulled out TWO plants. Another memo to self: Give Lebanese zucchini a wide berth next season.
I also did a general tidy up, and had a bit of a harvest: lettuce, beans, cucumbers, green tomatoes for some chutney and beetroot. I also noted that the first harvest off four broccoli I planted in January are ready to go.
In the fruit department, I picked 18 figs and five enormous lemons. When I got back to the house, I cut up a dozen figs for my favourite treat, fig jam. And I’ve just made a batch of pesto. So, my wander past the vegie patch (I was on my way up to the shed to give the fermenting grape juice a stir) ended up being a four hour working bee.
It was great to have a big block of time in the garden. Lately, between extreme temperatures and heavy rainfall, I’ve only done work up there in short sharp bursts. Now, time to get cracking with winter planting.

No comments: