Saturday, February 21, 2009

Time is the issue


Align Left

Harvested this week: zucchinis (more!), cucumbers, lettuce, eggplant, beans, cherry tomatoes, figs, apples, passionfruit, grapes.

Planted: Not a thing

Maintenance: Nothing

Time is the issue this week.

This week the calls for work started up again, so my time in the garden has been cut to nil.

My life is divided into work days and non-work days. They are like night and day. On work days, it is go-go-go from eyes open to eyes shut. All activity is directed at working or running the family. Things like working in the garden just don’t happen, full stop.

Non-work days are go-go-go as well, but there is a lot more control. These are days I do my getting ahead stuff, housework, and getting out into the garden. I also try to get my exercise in on these days.

Unfortunately, I don’t always know when I am getting up to a work- day or a non-work day. If I get a run of work days, like I did this week, things that need to be done in the garden for example, just don’t get done. I have to say, the unpredictability of life is what does my head in.

Time was also the nub of the issue in a discussion I had with Action Man this week about the state of the garden. We have quite a big vegie garden, and we harvest quite a lot. We also lose quite a lot to birds, bugs and disease. We would harvest a lot more if we spent more time out there, so we could nip problems in the bud.

Action Man reckons there is no point in having a vegie garden at all if we don’t tend it every day. Since he has the full time job, and I am home on average more than he is, the tending person would be me.

My view is, yes, we do lose quite a bit to nature but I reckon the amount we do harvest makes it worthwhile. And in any case, I don’t choose to spend any more time that I do already because I have quite a few other things to do as it is.

It’s like anything, right? The more time you lavish on something the better it will be, but sometimes you have to prioritise your time and energy in order to get everything done and that means accepting lower standards in some areas, in this case, the vegie garden.

End of discussion.

In other garden news, the gingers which I grew from rhizomes dug up by the side of the road have flowered! Don't they look exoticly gorgeous!What a perfume! Exciting stuff!

2 comments:

Linda said...

I just follow whatever the older people did I suppose. I have never thought of a vegie garden as something you have to spend every day in, I hadn't really thought about it. I think when we had one in the 80s, my husband did it on weekends. I remember sometimes we had slugs in the carrots for example. I suppose if you are still making a saving it doesn't really matter. The slugs come off under water, same with baby snails. Not sure if living more in the country would have created more trouble with birds for us or not.

Linda said...

Wow, I have been thinking on it ever since.

I have always been fond of the thought of growing gingers.

I suppose if you think of waste in terms of money and time. The time you lose in disease for example is offset with the time you need to treat it. So unless it is causing the crop to fail and the harvest is too small then it would be an issue.

There is always waste when the frost comes. This time of year if is is mulched, mainly it would be just watering I'd imagine. I wonder if the market gardeners clean up before the frost and start a new crop?

I like to think of unripened tomatoes and not wasting those, as I love green tomatoes!