Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Tomatoes among the thorns


I’ve already bemoaned the Great Fruit Fly Invasion of 2008 and the havoc it wreaked on our garden this year, especially on the tomatoes.

Well, I have to admit it wasn’t a total disaster. One of the unexpected habits of tomatoes, especially cherry tomatoes, is to self-seed all over the place. I suspect they grow from tomato seeds that have survived the digestive tract of our chickens, and then hide in the chicken manure which we shovel around the garden. For some reason, they particularly seem to enjoy the company of roses. And, wouldn’t you know it, the fruit fly has left them totally alone, unlike their carefully chosen, planted and tended relatives in the bona fide vegie patch. Perche?

Above is a very healthy tomato bush enjoying the hospitality of my shrub roses. It's very hard to discern where the rose bush finishes and the where the tomato starts.It hasn’t been prolific, but yields a good handful of small tomatoes every couple of days, with absolutely no human help at all ever. No effort at all vegie gardening, you have to love that. The most effort I contribute is to pluck them from the bush and convey them straight to my mouth as I wander around the garden.


1 comment:

ايمن صديق said...

We would like to start our talking with you by the peace message god sent us (Moslems , Christians ,Jews) And ordered us to start Withwe also send you a Peace
click here for me and you http://latosal7.blogspot.com/2008/03/we-want-you-to-know-us.html